Digital Archaeology sure is a tough topic, but I’ve honestly really enjoyed the process!
After many long nights spent with countless tabs open, and even more pinned tabs, I feel that this project is finally coming to an end. While the work my group and I conducted wasn’t easy and challenged my faith in universal search engines, I feel as though I’ve learned a lot from this process.
Not only do I now have way more information about the processor inside of a Nintendo Game Boy Advance than I ever thought I would, but the concept that some of this information was so hard to find, or turned up absolutely nothing really left me wondering. Why? Why is it so hard to find this information?
We live in an era where hackers can easily access entire population’s social security numbers, where people list their home addresses online. One glance at someone’s Facebook profile could tell you where they were born, where they went to high school, where they graduated college, where they work, who they know, etc. I could probably find out the address of my kindergarten teacher in mere minutes if I really wanted, but somehow hours upon hours of research on where the plastic case of the Game Boy Advance turns up nothing.
It wasn’t hard to find out who designed the case, but my guess is that’s because it was designed under better conditions than it was manufactured..
Overall, I feel as though my group has made great strides in our work. I was able to find out a lot of information about the ARM Processor, and I’ve found mild amounts of information about many of the other chip components. One of my other group members is conducting research about the plastic buttons and triggers, but when I complete my research I’ll jump over there and help them out.
I’ve also been working on our group’s Neatline and trying to pinpoint the actual locations of factories based on the surrounding information. This part of the project is kind of fun for me, and I set up our Neatline during the class demonstration, so I don’t mind working on it.
I feel like we could have had a bit more coordination on who was doing what at this point, but honestly maybe I’m just assigning too much to myself. I can’t help but look at everyone’s items and think “I could probably find some more citations for that..” I haven’t looked at other group’s Neatline maps or item databases, so maybe I’m overkilling it on the citations, but I just prefer to have more than less. Additionally, as I’ve said, I have really enjoyed this project, and while it is a bit stressful, I actually enjoy trying to find articles from around 2000 about the system. I’m learning a lot about what a lot of terms I’ve heard before mean, like LCD means a Liquid Crystal Display.
After taking this class I really wish I could take more DGST courses. I wish I could’ve declared a second major in Communications and Digital Studies (or even go back to my freshman/sophomore year when they were separate and declare.) I’m an English major, but this is just so interesting to me. Next Fall will be my last semester as I’m graduating early, but I hope I’ll be able to register for a DGST class.